Sunday, November 29, 2009

The Home Run Stretch!

hello all.
I cannot believe that in a week and 3 days I will be boarding a plane to start my long journey home, time flies!
I am in Nairobi right now at a cyber cafe just killing some time before heading to Gigiri to meet up with the Carline family (from CBM). Paul Carline and I are headed for the North East Province (NEP) early tomorrow morning. The two towns I will be visiting are called Garissa and Dadab. I'll be visiting some refugee camps there, and meeting lots of wonderful people I'm sure. I've also been told that the drive out there is breathtaking, so stay tuned for pictures, probably not until I'm home though!
Last week with the Kenny's was really great, what an awesome family! Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday I helped out at the Eastleigh Community Centre which is in Nairobi. I helped teach English classes to Somali and Ethiopian women, it was great! They were so much fun to hangout with and get to know, and SO eager to learn, it was amazing to be a part of even just for three days.
The rest of the week the Kenny's were on holidays, as their kids go to an American school here in Kenya, and it was American Thanksgiving. We did some cool stuff in Nairobi. I got to see another side of Kenya that I had no idea even existed. Shopping malls, movie theatres, swimming pools. . . it was kinda weird to come from working in the slum to posh shopping malls and people driving BMWs, still trying to process that one!
I also got to go to a couple really cool markets, and found some really great gifts!
After this upcoming week in NEP I'll be back in Ngong for the weekend to say goodbye to all of my wonderful friends there, a goodbye which I am dreading terribly. . . I suck at saying goodbye!
Anyways, thanks for reading, hope to fire off one more update before I head home.
peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment