Thursday, October 15, 2009

HABARI

yoo

I think that this blog is going to get a lot harder that now I am no longer just cruising the green hills of Ireland...but thats OKAEYY.
SO, let me just tell you all that I actually got really nervous...when I was at Heathrow after saying an EPIC goodbye to ma and pa, I was slightly freeking out.
I think it was really just hitting me that I was about to get on a plane to go to Kenya for 2 months, SOLO. So I paced around the terminal contemplating not getting on the plane, or maybe faking some sort of sickness, or maybe just running out into London and never stopping. CRAZY RIGHT?!?!
So I sat down in some little bar inside heathrow terminal 4 - which is a very nice terminal by the way - ordered myself a pint of Stella and just calmed down a bit. it worked. I boarded the plane.
Horrible flight...cant sleep on planes to save my life.
Now this is the best part...as soon as we arrived at Jomo Kenyatta International Airport and I walked out the door, i was home. The smells, the sounds, everything was right again! Then I saw the immigration line, DAMN IT! But having been to Kenya before I knew that the huge line of people in the "other passport" line were weasting their time. I hopped in the line that said "East African Citizens Only" and cruised right on through to the luggage pickup area! beauty.
Now I'm here again. ZACH IS BACK! as all of the women at the project keep saying. It has been amazing reconnectiong with everyone and hanging out with the women and kids at the project and the daycare. Today, me, Lucy and Noleka (2 women from the sewing class) lugged 3 big pieces of plywood from the daycare up to the office - which is about a 10 minute walk up through the slum and then the market without a big piece of wood - and built a new wall to block the office from the people who live on the other side, then Lucy and I painted it a beautiful shade of blue...GOODTIMES!!
Thats it!
PEACE

4 comments:

  1. thats awesome zach...you made the right choice!!!! im so glad to hear your "home". keep these blogs coming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the honesty Zach. Keep it coming. At least you're not missing a great comeback Leafs season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a poetic response - to feel home...can't wait to read more!
    love Nat

    ReplyDelete